Historical Room Archives Policy & Use Procedures
The mission of the Paul Pratt Memorial Library Archives is to collect, organize, preserve and make accessible books, documents and maps pertaining to the social, economic, cultural and natural history of Cohasset, including state and regional studies which cover Cohasset.
Scope of Collection
The archives are housed in the library’s Historical Room. The collection includes the published genealogies of Cohasset families, books identified as written by residents of Cohasset, Cohasset Mariner microfilm collection, and materials pertaining to the history and development of the library. The library does not accept artifacts as a permanent part of its collection, but may make display space available for rotating exhibits from other Cohasset agencies and town departments.
Terms & Conditions of Use
All archival materials must be used in the library as a majority of materials are fragile and irreplaceable. In order to protect the archives, the Historical Room is kept locked at all times.
- Users must present photo identification and sign the Archives log at the main circulation desk.
- All material must be handled gently with care and concern for its preservation.
- The Historical Room cannot be used for tutoring.
- The library collects the microfilm of the Cohasset Mariner, but does not own a microfilm reader. Patrons must make arrangements with the Reference Librarian for accessing microfilm content.
- Photocopying of some of the local history collection is permitted as long as the copying is in compliance with federal copyright laws. Researchers must obtain permission from staff before photocopying anything from the Historical Collection.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Historical Room.
- The library reserves the right to inspect notebooks, briefcases or other personal belongings.
- Patrons are asked to leave the materials they have used on the table in the Historical Room so that staff members can re-shelve items in the proper place and keep track of the number of items used.
- The library staff is available to assist patrons with their questions. When appropriate, questions may be referred to the Cohasset Historical Society.
- Letters and mail inquiries on genealogy, local history and house surveys will be answered when staff time permits. Because historical research is detailed and can be complicated, in-person research is often more appropriate. Staff may therefore request that a patron come in person to conduct research.